Approximately two months ago I moved. Again. As I look back, I realize that I have moved every year for seven consecutive years, with only one repeat roommate.
That means that I have had seventeen roommates since I moved out of my parents’ house in 2002. And I have been changed by each of them in significant and insignificant ways. You can decide which is which.
1. I have grown accustomed to accomodating alternative diets. One roommate I had in Phoenix, was allergic to wheat and dairy. We had a lot of rice and soy products. My freshman year roommate was a vegan. Though we didn’t share food, whenever we went out to eat it was at vegan places. Wheat meat is quite delicious!
2. I had never known the power of chocolate chip pancakes until my senior year of college.
3. As it relates to the previous post, I came to embrace the planner within me with the JVC roommates, both years, but particularly Phoenix. And then learned to let it go a little with the fJV (former Jesuit Volunteer) roommates.
4. Every roommate I have ever had has nurtured my sense of humor in one way or another, usually through ridiculous conversations about things of no consequence. For example, if LA had a voice, what would it sound like? This conversation actually happened. Go ahead, think about it. Feel free to add your two cents in the comments.
5. My sense of style. I have inherited clothes from a number of my roommates. In addition to that, I have picked up on some of their fashionable inclinations. For example, bright colors are okay, specifically pink, one should own more than just flip flops and running shoes, and the importance of accessories!
6. The one year that I lived with guys, I watched more violent movies than ever before. I am now desensitized. Well not completely, I still look away, cover my face, or close my eyes.
I am now living in a place with a friend from high school who has two black belts and another girl who works in television art departments. I am sure they have wonderful marks to contribute to the roommate mural that I am.