Perhaps I have been inspired by the new age of communication, where thoughts are expressed in status updates and text messages; in any case, I have found myself thinking in lists recently.
In fact I just started a new journal, which I have titled “Maddy’s Book of Lists”. Original, I know. Making lists from life’s questions, might seem a rather simplistic way to address the quarter-lifer’s larger than life issues, but to me it seems like the only way that isn’t completely overwhelming. Besides, it is the perfect blend of left and right brain activity. And for a person who is a feeler and a thinker, such things are difficult to come by.
The lists range in subject matter, from “The List of Things To Do With These 3 Hours that Just Became Free In My Day”, to “The List of Lists That I Want to Make”, to “The List of Things I Want To Be Able To Do For Myself Before I Die (as they relate to funding)”. Occassionally I will post these lists here. But, without further ado, here is the debut list:
The List of Things that I Have Always Thought:
1. That my family is the best family in the world. Nobody has proven me wrong yet.
2. That people are naturally good, even though some people have tried to convince me otherwise.
3. That money is stupid.
4. That my career would involve being in contact with people, as opposed to being couped up in a cubicle all day.
5. That I would be married and have kids by the time I was 30. I’m not so sure about that one anymore. Only time will tell.
6. That silver jewelry is cool. Learned that one from my mother.
7. That the truth is the easiest thing to tell. I think it’s because I’m really bad at lying.
8. That having strong friendships is the one solution that can apply to all of life’s problems. Just think about it, what is the one thing that could solve a broken down car on the highway and a broken heart. I’ll give you a hint, it’s not jumper cables.
9. That God invented oreos with me in mind.
10. That the world’s problems could be boiled down to two solutions: better education and communication.
As with all lists from here on out, please add your own in the comments section.